- 738 drug overdoses in Manchester in 2016 
- 1 in 8 people died from overdoses in Manchester in 2016 
- 1 in 5 high school seniors know how to get heroin easily.
- The vast majority of teens do not use heroin. In a 2016 national survey, only 0.3% of 12th graders used heroin in the past year.
- 95.5 percent of 12th graders disapprove of taking heroin occasionally.
- Recent trends indicate that heroin use is increasing among young adults aged 18 to 25. In 2015, over half a million people (12 or older) reported having a heroin use disorder.
PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE:
- Prescription opioid analgesics, specifically those containing oxycodone and hydrocodone, are the most common types of prescription drugs that are diverted for misuse and abused.
- Each day in the United States, over 144 people die as a result of a drug overdose.
- In 2015, an estimated 3.8 million people (aged 12 or older) reported current misuse of pain relievers.
- 53% of nonmedical users (12 years or older) reported receiving the prescription drugs they most recently used “from a friend or relative for free.”
- Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 80-100 times stronger than morphine.
- The death rate of synthetic opioids other than methadone, jumped by 72.2% from 2014 to 2015.
- During 2016 alone there were almost 29,000 reports of fentanyl (up from 1,041 reports in 2013).
1 DEA New England Division
2 Source: University of Michigan, 2016 Monitoring the Future Study. View source here.
3 Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, September 2016. View source here.
4 Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Increases in Drug and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths — United States, 2010–2015 . View source here.
5 Source: Prescription Drug Use and Misuse in the United States: Results from the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, September 2016. View source here.
6 Source: Rudd RA, Seth P, David F, Scholl L. Increases in Drug and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths — United States, 2010–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. ePub: 16 December 2016. View source here.
7 Source: “Fentanyl: The Next Wave of the Opioid Crisis.” Statement from Louis J. Milione Assistant Administrator, Drug Enforcement Administration. March 21, 2017.