What is it?
White, crystalline powder derived from coca leaves. Cocaine base (crack) looks like small, irregularly shaped white rocks.
Coca, Coke, Crack, Crank, Flake, Rock, Snow, Soda Cot
How it is Taken
- Dissolved in water and injected
- Crack cocaine is smoked
- Cocaine users usually binge on the drug until they are exhausted or run out of cocaine.
How does it affect the body?
- Smoking or injection creates an intense euphoric “rush”
- Tolerance builds quickly, easy to overdose
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
- Restlessness, irritability, anxiety, paranoia
- Insomnia, loss of appetite
- Stroke or death
- Sudden cardiac arrest
- The crash that follows a high is mental and physical exhaustion, sleep, and depression lasting several days. Following the crash, users crave cocaine again.
FACT SHEET: Read More about Cocaine (pdf)
Tips for Teens: The Truth About Cocaine (SAMHSA Publication)